David G. Lanoue
I'm a translator of Japanese haiku, a teacher of English and world literature, a writer of haiku and "haiku novels."
I earned my B.A. at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska (1976), then went on to complete the M.A. & Ph.D.
in English at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (1977, 1981). My dissertation topic was musical symbolism in 14th-century English, French and Spanish poetry. Since 1981, I've been teaching English at Xavier University of Louisiana in New Orleans, where I am the RosaMary Professor of English. I served as president of Haiku Society of America, 2013 to 2015.
Issa: Cup-of-Tea Poems (Asian Humanities Press 1991) translation
Haiku Guy (Red Moon Press 2000) haiku novel
- Laughing Buddha (Red Moon Press 2004) haiku novel
Pure Land Haiku: The Art of Priest Issa (Buddhist Books International 2004) criticism
Haiku Wars (Red Moon Press 2009) haiku novel
Nowever (Iztok Zapad 2011) Svetla Hristova, translator (haiku memoir published only in Bulgarian)
Frog Poet (Red Moon Press 2012) haiku novel
Issa's Best: A Translator's Selection of Master Haiku (HaikuGuy.com 2012) translation
- Dewdrop World (HaikuGuy.com 2013) haiku novel
Issa and the Meaning of Animals: A Buddhist Poet's Perspective (HaikuGuy.com 2014) criticism
- On a Sign Pointing Two Ways (Cartago, Colombia: Rompesilencios Ediciones 2016) a bilingual haiku collection, Spanish translation by Carlos Alberto Castrillón
- Issa and Being Human: Haiku Portraits of Early Modern Japan (HaikuGuy.com 2017) criticism
- Write Like Issa: A Haiku How-To (HaikuGuy.com 2017) how-to book
- Ein Gefühl von Neugierde: 101 Haiku (BoD 2018) a bilingual haiku collection, German translation by Martina Khamphasith
- South Wind: A Haiku Anthology edited with Margaret Dornaus (Singing Moon Press 2018)
- My Journal with Haiku Sprinkled in (HaikuGuy.com 2019) a creative imitation of Issa in celebration of the 200th anniversary of his great poetic journal, Oraga haru ("My Spring")
- A Taste of Issa: Haiku (HaikuGuy.com 2019) takes a deeper look at the 1,210 haiku presented in Issa's Best, including original Japanese texts and comment notes
- Haiku Guy Omnibus (HaikuGuy.com 2020) a 25th anniversary omnibus edition of my five "haiku novels": Haiku Guy, Laughing Buddha, Haiku Wars, Frog Poet, and Dewdrop World
- Old Grandpa's Songbook, Vol. 1 Songs of Innocence (HaikuGuy.com 2022) is a collection of 28 original songs suitable for children. In the future I plan to publish some adult-themed songbooks.
- Old Grandpa's Songbook, Vol. 2 Love Songs (HaikuGuy.com 2023) is a collection of 84 original songs chronicling the rollercoaster of my love life, 1969 to 2023.